28 March – 6 October
It’s a dark, cold world. Only 3 people have travelled to its deepest point. In fact, we know more about the surface of Mars than we do about our deep oceans. Journey with us deep below the Earth’s surface to this dark and mysterious world in our new exhibition. Deep Oceans showcases strange real-life creatures as well as myths and legends about fearsome monsters of the deep.
Things to see and do
- See a real specimen of a Giant Squid from the Queensland Museum collection
- Meet some of the real-life creatures that have inspired sea monster myths and legends
- Experiment with hands-on activities; test the effects of water pressure on your arm or see how colour appears at different depths
- Step inside a life-size replica of a bathysphere and hear audio accounts of dives into the deep
- Children can learn as they follow characters from the Octonauts on their journey through the exhibition (Octonauts trail recommended for children under 5)